Monday, September 12, 2011

The Remaining Best of the Rest Horror Movies of 2011

With about 4 months to go, I've scanned the remaining upcoming horror schedule for the rest of 2011 and picked my favorites. Of course I don't know if any of these will actually be good but one can only hope they live up to their buzz.

I always think the best horror movies usually release around Halloween (for obvious reasons) and then the battle for the horror supremacy gets packed with contenders.

Let's see if any of these pan out.

10.) American Horror Story


Releases Date: October 5th

the jaded viewer says:
FX's new show is not a horror movie, but a show that all horror fans should be on the look out for. For now, the teaser is vague as fuckin hell, haunted house meets weird imagery? I need something to keep me entertained this fall.





9.) Grave Encounters

Release Date: August 25th - VOD/Theaters

the jaded viewer says:
Already released, it's hard to judge Grave Encounters. It's got that Paranormal Activity ripoff going against it but it's got that reality ghost hunter thing going for it. I'm on the fence with this one but it's peaked my interest.




8.) Red State


Release Date: Sept 1st - VOD, Select Theaters - Sept. 25th

the jaded viewer says:
I'm a Kevin Smith fan but even I am kind of up in the air on this flick. I guess I should ask all of you who've seen it. Yay or Nay?





7.) Paranormal Activity 3

Release Date: October 21st

the jaded viewer says:
The prequel to the series might answer some questions. PA2 was a little too dumb but we could get something new to reinvent the series. But cmon now...Bloody Mary legend in your teaser?



6.) The Dead

Release Date: October 1st

the jaded viewer says:
The Dead is probably the most anticipated zombie movie I've seen in a while. Old school Fulci zombies and actually set in Africa. It could turn out to be just another run of the mill zombie flick or it could kick so much fuckin ass. We shall see.




5.) You're Next


Release Date: ???

the jaded viewer says:
Adam Wingard's latest flick is a horror comedy described as "Home Alone" horror flick. Just premiering at TIFF, it's gotten crazy good buzz with a bidding war ensuing. I always keep Wingard, an indie filmmaker extraordinaire on my radar.

4.) Chillerama


Release Date: November 29th

the jaded viewer says:
The Adam Green/Joe Lynch/Adam Rifkin/Tim Sullivan grindhouse drive in horror comedy anthology looks b-movie-tastic. I mean its rare to have the following filmmakers get behind a project like this but as I said before, I believe the horror anthology is posed to make a comeback. Chillerama might be that juggernaut.




3.) The Woman


Release Date: October 14th

the jaded viewer says:
Lucky McKee got great hype with that Sundance video where a guy so disturbed by the flick walked out of a screening. But the film is probably one of the most odd and unique flicks to ever come out this year and though may not totally shock, it will definitely be the definitive film of McKee's movies.



2.) Piranha 3DD

Release Date: November 23rd

the jaded viewer says:
I can't wait to see this flick. Piranhas in a water park can only make for awesome kills and awesome nudity. I mean Katrina Bowden is in this and she's guaranteed to be in a freakin bikini. Great Scott! This is going to be heavy.

1.) The Human Centipede 2

Release Date: October 7th

the jaded viewer says: Love it or hate it, the Human Centipede made sure you thought of how far a film could go. Though it didn't go over the edge, the FULL SEQUENCE Tom Six promises is going to be way fuckin crazier. "Martin" looks absolutely fuckin slothy nuts. I can't wait.



*****************************************************************************

Any other horror flicks you excited for? Let me know what you think of my picks and anything else I've missed.

5 comments:

  1. Chillerama looks awful, like it was made for $20 and that they're touting it's no budget approach to mask it's awfulness.

    The Woman is outstanding. Just a fucking gutpunch of a movie.

    I really loved Grave Encounters and am checking out Red State tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw Stake Land, loved it, but personally I found Grave Encounters as much fun as stepping in cat puke first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this good post on best horror movies to watch . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red State and Piranha both sucked. Red State was a total let down and I knew Piranha would be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Piranha 3DD is a Horror movie.

    ReplyDelete