Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Jaded Viewer's Predictions for 2011

I had a few features I wanted to write about what we should all expect in 2011 via film but they all sorta made sense to go list a few Nostradamusisy predictions instead. When in doubt, always go with a list I always say. Who knows what 2011 will bring in the world of horror but I'm going out on a limb with my guesses and predictions.

If any of these come true, I've got proof I'm psychic. Now place your bets.

1.) Steampunk will be Hollywood's Newest Exploitation

With Sucker Punch coming out which will probably be the equivalent of 300 in terms of success, Zach Snyder will initiate a Hollywood bandwagon for all that is steampunk.

2.) We're going to see a lot more Exorcist type movies

With The Rite comes out this month, we're going to see more devil in a child movies. The Last Exorcism's succes and Exorcismus, this is just the tip of the iceberg for devils vs priests.

3.) We're going to see less horror remakes

Just because Hollywood's already milked the shit out of every horror franchise

4.) Remember shaky cam shot on video cinema? We're going to get a film like that every month.

And it's going to be in 3D.

5.) Joss Whedon's Cabin in the Woods will be better than Kevin Smith's Red State

Two fan bases collide but somehow Whedon will prevail because his movie will be funnier.

6.) Zombies and Vampires will jump the shark....say hello to werewolves


With Teen Wolf coming to MTV, I smell more howling wolves coming to the big screen.

7.) There will be less Exploitation and Grindhouse throwback flicks

Sure I'm going to see Hobo with a Shotgun but we're going to see indie filmmakers turn their backs on these type of flicks.

8.) Gladiator movies will make a comeback

From Spartacus to Hercules to Conan, we're going to see more overgrown men with swords slicing and dicing.

9.) We will have 1 hyped up Japanese or Korean remake

I hope it comes from Takashi Miike or Chan Wook Park.

10.) The French will blow us away with a horror flick (which will probably end up #1 on my Top 10 List for 2011)

They've been quiet for a while. I think they're going to make a flying zombie film that's somehow intellectually stimulating.

*******************************************************

OK that's my list. What's yours? What are your predictions for 2011?

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

  1. I agree with all especially #7. I think that style of film is getting severly played out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see more werewolf movies myself. They are always fun to check out. I will disagree with the comment about seeing less remakes. Unfortunately, they are only scratching the surface. Hell, they are already talking about Return of the Living Dead being remade. We will keep hearing one classic after another being remade until people stop paying to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm predicting the next overwhelming of comic adaptations like in the early/mid 2000's. Also put me down for not seeing more geek centric films like Sucker Punch. It's got about as much of a chance as Scott Pilgrim. I simply can't give the mainstream such credit to desire that kind of movie. Big action yes, but limited appeal overall (live action girls in sailor moon costume).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with the #10 prediction. The French are dominating the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure about all your predictions, but I will wholeheartedly agree with #2. First screener of 2011 I received was a low budget knockoff of the Last Exorcism. If they say "blowing job" in that film, I'm tossing it out the window.

    I sure hope zombies don't jump the shark, but I think wolves are coming in and no one is stopping them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I hope you're right about werewolves.. I saw a commerical for Being Human and other wolf-related stuff on TV lately, so this better be premonition and not prediction...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My #4 seems to be coming true. I just saw a another Rec like movie on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete